If you plan to buy BMW i3 electric car, whether in the short or long term, you must know where you will recharge your vehicle since some of the determining factors when using an electric car is that: where are the recharging points that most interest you? How can you increase the efficiency of your EV?
From charging points to plug types to fast charging: in the following article we answer all your questions about charging your BMW i3 electric car.
I. BMW i3 Charging Stations
II. What BMW i3 Drivers Need to Know about EV Charging
The BMW i3 is one of the best-selling models in the world. Renovated in 2017, it allows for a true compromise between autonomy and comfort, which are superior to the previous model.
It is a purely electric vehicle that provides up to 153 miles on a single charge.
The unique feature of EV is its engine. The BMW i3 has a two-liter, small, range-extending engine with a gas tank of 2.4 gallons. If EV driver forgets to charge the battery and the 42 kilowatts per hour battery pack of EV is almost empty, the engine starts to provide the driving limit to 200 miles.
III. BMW i3 EV Charging & Range
The BMW i3 is a 100% electric car with an electric motor that offers around 170 hp and a range of between 130 and 160 km that can be extended up to 300 km thanks to the optional gasoline engine that it incorporates.
It has a 22kWh lithium-ion battery with a useful capacity of 18.8 kW and can be recharged from a home network in around 4 hours.
It accelerates from 0 to 100 in 7.9s and its average consumption is 0.6 l/100km, its maximum speed is limited to 150km/h to maximize efficiency, with CO2 emissions of 13g/km.
For the charging point, it uses a type 2 or Mennekes plug and can be optionally equipped with a CCS or Combo connector., which achieves a recharging time of 30 minutes with a power of 50kW.
IV. BMW i3 Connector Types and Charging Rate
Various types of charging cables and connectors for BMW i3 electric vehicles have been used in different countries, CCS2 has been established in Europe, CCS1 in North America and CHAdeMO and GB/T in Asia are applied for charging of BMW i3. The basic equipment of BMW home chargers includes the cable called standard charging cable. On the other hand, for recharging at public points, the car uses a charging cable (Mode 3) combined with a Type 2 plug.
V. How Long does it Take to Charge a BMW i3?
Recharging our electric car can take up to 12 hours, although that could happen to you in the worst case. At best, with a quick recharge, and always depending on the vehicle’s equipment, you can charge up to 80% of the battery in just over half an hour. With a wait of just 30 minutes, you can get more than 100 km of autonomy in some models.
The BMW i3 has a charging cable with which you can get power from home. They are a power of about 2.8 kW, you will have your i3 charged in less than 10 hours with this cable.
The brand allows you to charge your BMW i3 at a fast-charging station with 50 kW. With this system, you will get up to 80% of the charge in just 40 minutes. This means that you will achieve a range of 100 kilometers in just 24 minutes, as long as you maintain a charging speed of about 4 km/min.
Related Article: EV Charging Time: How Long will it Take to Charge My Car?
VI. Level 3 DC Fast Charging
If you are an i3 driver and are on a long road trip then, Level 3 DC charging is like a blessing. As a vigorous Electric vehicle, the i3 has the feature of fast-charge port that uses SAE’s CCS combo cord standard. This port can hold up to a 50-kilowatt supply of power. With this supply, charging a battery of 153-mile capacity in the BMW i3 is done in almost 40 minutes.
VII. Which Type of Charging Speed is Perfect for you?
Which type of charging speed is required, depends on your free time and your current location. BMW i3 charging stations provide 3 types of charging speeds: level 1, level 2, and level 3.
- Level 1 – Level 1 has the universal outlet which is already installed in every home garage. BMW i3 comes with a standard Cable which can be used in this outlet. This is a 120V charger and can charge your car with the charging speed of 4 miles per 1 hour. This option is good for daily overnight charging.
- Level 2 – Level 2 is 7x faster than Level 1 and operates a 240V charger. This can charge your car with a charging speed of 30 miles per 1 hour. This can be used by installing wallbox chargers in homes or at public places. Level 2 is a good option for routine use, for example, it is beneficial for your work life.
- Level 3 – Level 3 is the fastest option, and it is only offered for BMW Electric cars. Level 3 is installed in public stations only. This fast and high-powered DC can charge your car with a charging speed of 75 miles in just 10 minutes.
Related Article: EV Charging Levels
VIII. How Much does it Cost to Charge a BMW i3?
Naturally, the most economical method is to recharge your BMW i3 electric car in your own Wallbox charger, with which you could choose the energy provider and, possibly, enjoy personalized offers according to your needs and the charging capacity of the car. It is slow but you can charge your EV at night or when your car is parked in your garage.
On the other hand, the costs of recharging an electric car at public points vary. They depend on electricity costs in your area and the pricing models of charging points of each provider.
IX. How to Choose Your BMW i3 EV Charging Station?
With its 33 kW battery, the BMW i3 allows very flexible mixed-use. With an all-electric range of 200 km, there is the possibility of adding a BMW Range Extender that allows you to reach 400 km of range, using a battery extender with an auxiliary heat engine.
For regular charging, the BMW i3 accepts a charging power of up to 7.4 kW.
If your daily journeys are less than 30 km, a reinforced socket or a 3.7 kW Wallbox will suffice.
For occasional charging, the BMW i3 is equipped with a Combo connector that allows the use of Combo rapid chargers. The indicated time to charge your vehicle to 80% is less than 30 minutes.
X. Where to Buy Quality BMW i3 Charging Stations for Home Use?
We recommend that if you are going to buy an electric car, it is advisable to have a charging point in your home. On the one hand, it will be a comfortable option and it will normally be the cheapest.
A private home with your own garage space is the best option to charge an electric car because you will have one more plug at hand or you can set up a dedicated facility to recharge your BMW i3 vehicle without spending as many resources.
A common house can range between 3.6 kW and 7.4 kW, so it would not be necessary in many cases to expand the contracted power. Single-family homes can connect the vehicle to the traditional plug (the one used by a refrigerator or microwave). If not, it is advisable to install a wall charging base known as a wallbox.
You can find many EV charger manufacturers which provide home charging stations. It is up to you which suits you the best, just keep in mind that the home charging station should be compatible with the 33-pack battery of the BMW i3. One of the best options we can suggest you is Electrly charging station manufacturer, they have special home charging models for example Smart Home Wallbox is the best option for BMW i3.
XI. Electrly Advantages for BMW i3 Owners
- Top Quality – The charging station by Electrly can be put into operation for BMW i3 as it is modular and mobile, which allows it to be installed anywhere with the necessary energy needs. The company is committed to developing a commercially and economically viable and top-quality product.
- Affordable Price – EV- Top is providing cost-efficient charging solutions for not only BMW i3 electric car but many other EV models. EV charging sounds like an expensive product but not in the case of EV -Top charging products, which are economical and provide free after-sale services to satisfy their customers.
- Rich Experience – Electrly was founded at the beginning of the year 2015. With a span of almost 10 years, Electrly has developed and manufactured over 30 types of products that can be fit as home chargers, and charging stations in public and commercial areas.
- Qualification Certificates – Electrly believes in providing quality products. To ensure the quality, the company verifies its products with various tests and certifications. Some of the certifications are CE, ISO, UL, IEC, SAE, GB/T, IATF, and CQC.
- Comprehensive Service – Buying an EV charger from Electrly means buying a whole package as you get to enjoy many other services. Electrly not only sells products but also offers you installation guidance, technical guidance, and after-sale services.
The updated BMW i3 charging systems are available in several designs and are designed for a maximum output of up to 22 kW. Among the useful amenities, it is worth noting the support of RFID, different plug-in options, and compatibility. Here we have explained everything you need to know about charging stations before buying your luxurious dream car.